associate degree in music performance
The Associate of Science in Music Performance degree program (6 quarters, 18 months, 90 credits) is the most in-depth and intensive program offered at California College of Music. Emphasizing polished musicianship, personal artistic mentoring, and dynamic self-expression, students develop practical real-world skills and extensive musical experience, establishing and honing their own unique voice or playing style along the way.
Courses are taught by successful musicians with proven professional track records, excellent academic backgrounds, and scrupulous yet accessible teaching styles. The rigorous 6-quarter associate degree program is designed to be completed in only 18 months and to quickly and thoroughly address the complex expectations modern musicians face. Our associate degree program emphasizes deep knowledge of musical structures, technical proficiency, and self-confidence, and exposes students to a diverse, well-rounded palette of styles. By graduation time, students will have performed in front of live audiences numerous times, participated in recording sessions, led their own bands, created electronic music, received copious amounts of critical feedback on their performances, and developed a portfolio and press kit materials to begin promoting their work to music lovers and industry representatives.
We accept students into the Associate of Science in Music Performance program in the following instrumental emphases:
PROGRAM OVERVIEW: The Associate of Science in Music Performance (6 quarters, 18 months, 90 credits) is a professional music degree designed for students wishing to gain commanding skill as instrumental or vocal performers, enabling themselves to pursue a career in modern popular music. Graduates of this program are musicians empowered with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to express themselves dynamically through modern popular music.
PROGRAM PURPOSES: The purposes of the Associate of Science in Music Performance degree program are:
- to establish an advanced level of instrumental or vocal performance ability;
- to provide multiple excellent public performance opportunities in ensembles and as bandleaders;
- to develop an understanding of music technology;
- to develop a comprehension of the history of American popular music;
- to develop musical arranging and directing skills;
- to provide experience in music video production;
- to establish skills for effective self-promotion in the digital realm;
- to develop excellent studio recording abilities through multiple session experiences;
- to develop the ability to improvise within popular music structures;
- to develop fluency in music theory including advanced harmonic structures and notational skills;
- to develop strong aural skills including extended chord recognition and harmonic dictation;
- to instill a nuanced understanding of rhythm and accuracy of rhythmic interpretation;
- to develop the ability to sight-read and/or sight-sing music in real time;
- to establish intermediate proficiency at the keyboard for all musicians;
- to establish strong skills and qualifications for careers in modern popular music.
Notice to Prospective Degree Program Students: The Associate of Science in Music Performance is an occupational degree and does not include general education requirements or specific preparation for study at the baccalaureate level. Our associate degree program is not currently available to international students.
Notice to Prospective Degree Program Students: This institution is licensed by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education to offer degree programs. To continue to offer degree programs, this institution must meet the following requirements:
- Become institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, with the scope of the accreditation covering at least one degree program.
- Achieve full accreditation by July 1, 2020.
- If this institution stops pursuing accreditation, it must:
- Stop all enrollment in its degree programs, and
- Provide a teach-out to finish the educational program or provide a refund.
- An institution that fails to comply with accreditation requirements by the required dates shall have its approval to offer degree programs automatically suspended.